For the Love of Cooking|
Recipes and Resources for Making Great Food
May We Recommend
+ Add to Shopping List
Sausage Subs with Peppers and Onions
Rate this Recipe
Serves 6 |
Skip the sub shop and make them at home.
|1/4 cup olive oil|
|6 sweet Italian sausage links|
|2 red bell peppers, sliced|
|2 yellow onions, sliced|
|1 teaspoon salt|
|1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper|
|1/2 teaspoon dried oregano|
|1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves|
|4 cloves garlic, minced|
|2 tablespoons tomato paste|
|1 cup Marsala wine|
|1 can diced tomatoes, 15 oz.|
|6 sub rolls, split|
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the sausages and cook about 7-10 minutes, until evenly browned. Remove sausages from the pan.
- Add peppers, onions, salt, and pepper to the pan and cook about 5 minutes until, just tender. Add the oregano, basil, and garlic and saute for about 1 minute longer.
- Add the tomato paste, wine, tomatoes, and chili flakes, if using. Stir to combine. Bring the mixture to a simmer.
- While the sauce is simmering, cut the sausages into 6 pieces each. Add the sausage back to the pan, and continue to cook until the sauce has thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Spoon sausage and sauce onto sub rolls and enjoy!