For the Love of Cooking|
Recipes and Resources for Making Great Food
May We Recommend
+ Add to Shopping List
Sausage and Sweet Pepper Calzones
Rate this Recipe
Serves 4 |
These calzones are incredibly delicious and easy to make.
|1 lb Italian sausage, removed from the casing|
|1 onion, peeled and julienned|
|1 green bell pepper, seeded and julienned|
|1 red bell pepper, seeded and julienned|
|2 tablespoons chopped garlic|
|8 oz ricotta cheese|
|8 oz grated Mozzarella cheese|
|8 oz grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese|
|1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper|
|4 tablespoons olive oil|
|4 individual pizza dough rounds, 6-inch each|
|Salt, to taste|
|Pepper, to taste|
- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- Bring a saute pan to medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the sausage and brown, cook for 6-8 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, drain and cool completely. Bring another saute pan to medium heat, add the remaining oil. Add the onions and peppers. Season with salt and pepper. Saute for 4-5 minutes. Add the garlic and remove from the heat. Cool completely.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the sausage, onion-pepper mixture, cheeses and crushed red pepper. Mix well. Season with salt.
- Using a fork, dock each round of pizza dough. Divide the mixture into fourths and place in the center of each round of dough. Fold one end of the dough over the other, forming a half-moon shape. Using a fork or your fingers press the ends together, sealing the calzones completely.
- Place the calzones on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake until golden brown, about 20-25 minutes.
See Other Recipes Like This
Tasty Recipes for a Gluten-Free Life
Following a gluten-free lifestyle is easier than ever. There are new recipes coming out daily, everything from muffins and pizza to butter cookies and fried chicken. Eating gluten free doesn't mean the food has to be boring. View Recipes >